Sunday, October 21, 2007

Rhinebeck pics

This is a VERY picture heavy post. 15 selected shots from my weekend at Rhinebeck. No yarn shots, I'll get around to taking pics of my purchases later.

Okay, this one isn't Rhinebeck. See, if you go South on rte 9 to Hyde Park, you'll find a very cool place. The Culinary Institute of America is down there, sitting right next to the Hudson, on one of the most beautiful campuses I've ever seen anywhere. Did I take any pics of the outside, NOPE. It was raining when mom and I went for lunch on Friday, but trust me, it's a WOW. This is part of the decorations in the Apple Pie Cafe, where we went for lunch on Friday and tried to get an apple pie. Seems it was a graduation day, and there were no pies left, but I did get the last slice!

Felted tree spirit. Totally forget which booth this was in, but they also had a really cool felted Koi in a felted river. Didn't see the Grafton Fiber's mermaid this year. Mom and I slipped into building A first, not for The Fold, but for Brooks Farm. I got out of there with three skeins of yarn and money left in my wallet (which is VERY unusual for me, I'm a sucker for their yarn). I got to see the MasAcero, and wanted it for a sweater, but decided against it for now.



Next up, who should we run into but Pam! I first met her at the Philly meetup, but I've known her online for years now. I love the Shawl! We caught her and her hubby on their way out to the car with the morning wine purchases and were able to give her our Hats for Alex. A very good thing since mom had 21 of them in a bag that she was complaining about carrying!

In the pic (L to R): Pam, Carol, Jena, Me and Mom


Ran into Sharon a bit later. She was taking her Blogger Bingo responsibilities very seriously. If anyone had her on their card and didn't find her on Saturday it was NOT Sharon's fault. And if the shirt and the ears weren't enough, her husband was wearing a kilt! How do you miss that couple?














Later in the day we ran into a woman with her two new baby bunnies in a pink stroller carrier! Only at Rhinebeck!











If the yarn and fuzzy animals weren't enough to keep you occupied, this guy was walking around using his horses! We stood and watched him for a bit on Saturday then ran into him again Sunday morning. The horses weren't quite as well behaved on Sunday and the rider got to demonstrate how flexible he was.







Can't have Rhinebeck without a life sized sheep. And yes, that costume is made from a fleece. I felt bad for the person inside, it was rather warm in the sun on Saturday.















Ravelry meetup on Sat night. Free on tap beer and great food. The sponsors did a wonderful job. I wonder if this is going to become a yearly event.

Four of my house mates. We shared this GREAT house not far from the Fair grounds.







Yes, there were a LOT of people there, and the locals didn't know we'd be taking over their restaurant.











Two shots of the bar area as we waiting for them to clear the dining room for us.












Mom and David. I have to say, I think I'm in love! A man who not only wears a kilt, but knits his own sweater and kilt hose! He was on mom's bingo card. So there's another reason to play blogger bingo next year...














What's Rhinebeck without sheep? Okay, I didn't take many pics on Sunday and wanted at least one fuzzy creature.











A shot of the fairgrounds and the beautiful day we had on Sunday













There were students from the CIA there carving pumpkins. Most of them were carving traditional type pumpkins, but this guy was doing some beautiful work. I had to get a picture of it!










And last, but certainly not least. I WANT this shirt. (I did get permission to post this before putting a strangers chest online)

If you can't read it:
1. Yes, I am knitting
2. No I'm not crocheting
3. No, it doesn't require a lot of patience
4. Yes, you could do it. Really. Want to learn?
5. Yes, I know you can buy sweaters, socks, etc for not much money. What's the fun in that?
6. Yes, I'm sure your grandmother did knit for you. That's nice.
7. Well, yes, it does require some concentration, depending on the pattern. So could you shut up and let me knit now? Thanks!

She said she got it on cafe press... I have to go hunting for it now.