Monday, June 05, 2006

Knitting Distractions..


Last night on knitty board someone mentioned the Dulaan project. I hadn't heard of this before, but thought to myself, what a great way to use up all those half skeins and such I have laying around. Of course, I dropped the sock I was working on (that doesn't take a lot of prodding) and grabbed up some leftover Galway I had from a sweater. I've never doubled up the Galway before, and having no idea how many stitches to an inch I'd get, I decided to cast on 54 stitches. My thought was that at 3 stitches to the inch it would be 18 inches, so if I was a little off on either side of 3/inch then I'd still have a wearable hat. Well wouldn't you know, I ended up with 3.5/inch (a lot off!) so the hat is only 16 inches around... BUT, I was able to get it on my big head.. so I guess it will grow with whoever gets it.. I made it with a huge garter stitch brim so there would be plenty of yarn around the ears..


As you can see here.. I finally got a jogless join (after the first color change).. or at least some version of it.. so this hat was doubly worth my time and effort..