Saturday, June 03, 2006

Mini-Yarn Pr0n..



Well, it's been raining now off and on for the past few days, and I'm not getting very far in any of my current knitting projects. So.. I decided to see how my father's frontloading machine felts. As you can see, the Noro didn't felt nearly as well as the Woolpak (which felts wonderfully!). The nalgene cozy has the weird line going up the side of it that just didn't felt well.. I'm guessing that's where the machine kept folding the piece when it tumbled.. The basket was inspired by Mason Dixon Knitting, I was flipping through the book at the bookstore and liked the baskets. The Nalgene cover is entirely my own brain, after seeing how well the Woolpak felted, and having a desire to not leave water rings on the wood floor.. so if anyone would like their own:

Nalgene Cover:

Made with NZ Woolpak (bulky version), size 15 16inch needles, and size 15 DPs.. or 2 circulars, or a circ long enough to magic loop.. your choice.


Used: No clue how much, but I started with two small centerpull balls. I figure no more than 200 yards. (I figure almost any bulky yarn doubled up will work, though I wouldn't try the Big Kureyon, unless someone can tell me how to get it to felt better)

This is made with two strands of yarn held together throughout..


CO 32 stitches
Join and knit in garter stitch till your cozy is about the same height as your bottle (remember, knit one round, purl one round) If you want a shorter cozy, feel free to change the height.
K2 tog all around on the next knit round (should be at 16 stitches).
Purl a round, knit a round, purl a round.

K2 tog all around. (8 stitches) Purl a round.

Cut working yarn leaving a 16 inch tail. Thread tail through remaining stitches and pull tight. Secure well.
Weave in ends and toss in washing machine to felt. Mine went through two cycles on a front loader.
Block with Nalgene bottle.




Now.. I promised some yarn pr0n.. so... here it is.. I went to A Yarn for All Seasons in Martinsville today. She was having an indoor tent sale (it was a bit too wet for an outdoor one). Mostly cottons (bleh), but I found two skeins of Cash Iroha (mmmmmmm), all her Opal was on sale (this one kinda jumped into my bag), and she had backissues for $4.. though I couldn't find the spring '04 one, I got Summer and Fall '04. Sorry about the picture.. I haven't found where I packed my background sheets yet...

Passed a book sale on the way home, got a bunch of paperbacks at 25 cents each, but no knitting books :(