Sunday, July 29, 2012

Bumps and Bruises

Those of you who have known me for a while (and actually get to see me) may have noticed that I've dropped a good bit of weight in the past year. I've done it using an iPhone app that helps me count my calories and have tried to keep it to 1200 calories/day.  That's not exactly a lot of food, but except for nights out with friends it's worked well for me.

After a year, I hit a plateau.  Despite being good, I went a bit over a month without dropping any weight. Mind you, I may not have been as good as I thought, there were a few out of town trips in that month... but I decided it was time to add exercise to this program and see what that does.

So I've started taking a full contact (we do use safety pads for punching/kicking) martial arts class.  I expected some bumps/bruises and really expected sore muscles.  The sore muscles have improved over the course of a month and with the addition of a protein/carb snack immediately after class.  The bumps/bruises are getting more creative.

I can't even figure out how I got the most recent one.  How do you bruise your shoulder blade learning choke releases?  Best I can figure out, when I dragged one of my partners over my back their chin hit my shoulder blade.  Considering how annoying this is, I really hope that whichever partner I did this with is okay.  Guess I'll have to use the other side today.