Saturday, November 06, 2010

Quicker than knitting??

I finished my first weaving project. It's a simple dish towel made of worsted weight cotton. I'll take pictures tomorrow when the sun is out.

It was a lot of fun and seemed to be MUCH quicker than knitting would have been. But as I was talking to my mom about it, I got to wondering. Is it really faster to weave then it is to knit? It took me a week of crafting time from start to finish to weave the dish cloth. That's roughly the same amount of time it probably would have taken me to knit one (I've never actually knit a dish towel this long before).

Tomorrow, I'm going to start my next weaving project with some yarn that was sent to me in a swap. I'm going to actually keep track of the time it takes to see if weaving is quicker for me.

I'm going to use this one for the weft, it's large and bulky, so I'm going to warp my loom @ 5epi instead of 10. I want it to show through.


This one came with it and I'm thinking of using it for the warp. The other option is a skein of Cascade 220 in either black, blue or purple.