Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Clogs 3 : Me 1

I have made numerous pairs of felted clogs.  Till today, they have all been fun and easy projects that delighted the recipients.   Today, I met my match.

Two of my father's friends wore through the clogs I made them a few years ago, so I agreed to make new ones.  Yarn was bought for one pair, but I couldn't find yarn I liked for the second.  So... I went into the stash, pulled out three skeins of lamb's pride bulky in a white color and went to dying.

Strike 1... the colors did not come out as I planned, nor was it the "colourful" my father wanted.

I could live with that.  The person who these were meant for would love them no matter what colour they were.

I wound up the yarn and prepared to make the clogs.

Strike 2...  I can't find the pattern.  I thought I left it out when I packed, but apparently not.

Fine, I went out and bought a new copy.  Not so bad, they changed the pattern since I bought it to make the clogs narrower, which works out rather well for F's foot.

I knit them up, and forgot to count... so I ended up one stitch short and frogged a whole slipper.  This doesn't count as a strike... I still got them done in one night.

Strike 3... Felting.  Last night I went to my mom's and got ready to toss them in the washer.  I invited F over to get a perfect fit.  Yeah, right... 3 hours later, I finally had one slipper felted enough to fit her foot, but it was no longer full of red colors... it was now pink.  All the dye ran in the felting bath and there was very little left on the slippers.  Not to mention that it took 3 hours to felt and then one was larger, so I had to toss it back in by itself.  Well, it continued to bleed, so is quite a few shades lighter than it's mate.

How did I get one point in this whole mess?  Easy... Two slippers of the same length are currently sitting on my mom's dryer to dry.  I won a battle, but seriously lost the war.  I'm considering making F another pair and turning this pair into a dog toy.