Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Look what I did...

In my attempt to avoid the use of patterns and mass produced items, I've collected (okay, they were all gifts) the Barbara Walker series of stitch pattern books.  My sister gave me the Mosaic one this year for my birthday.  

I like how the book walks you through the "rules" to mosaic knitting and offers patterns.  My only issue (and this is my issue, so please no flames about it) is the large number of patterns based on an old cultural/religious symbol.  I briefly considered trading away the book now that I've figured out how to do the technique, but that seems a bit extreme.  I'll just hide it on the back of the bookshelf.

I like stranded knitting.  I like how the colors interact and the patterns create a focus for your eye.  That being said, I usually don't like how my knitting turns out when I strand... mostly because of tension issues.  Mosaic knitting fixes that.. well... mostly.  I had a few tension issues when I was slipping more than two stitches at a time, but I think I figured it out by the end of the hat.  The only other difference, that I've found so far, is that you can't do just one stitch in an alternate color with mosaic, it will always be two stitches high.



The yarn is Valley Yarn Amherst (I think, I already lost the labels).  It was the give away at the Ravelry party this year at Rhinebeck.  Mom gave me her skein and the two skeins have just been sitting there waiting for me to do something with them.  It's a very nice merino.  I was very pleased with how soft and bouncy it was.



Close up of the mosaic pattern.  I'm very pleased with how this came out.  The hat fits my head, though I look horrible in watch cap type hats.  I suppose it will find a home eventually.