Saturday, November 29, 2008

Kitchen fun

One of the problems with moving, is that I don't have easy access to all my stash.  It's not that I can't get to it, it's just not as easy as it was.

So, what to do when I can't find the color combination I want and don't want to buy new stuff?

Dye up the old!

I've been doing some food safe dying lately.  It has to be food safe because my acid dyes are packed along with all the extra pots and pans I bought to avoid poisoning myself.






This batch started out as white lamb's pride bulky.  It's going to be a pair of felted slippers.  I wanted long repeats so the color would be more than one or two stitches, so I wrapped the hank by using mom's dining room chairs.  There are three colors, though my dad thinks the colors are too close together.  The orange is cherry&orange, the red is tropical punch and the not-so-bright is black cherry.





This one is still wet, so is a bit harder to see... I couldn't find grape kool-aid at the supermarket today, so I decided to buy a set of food coloring.  It came with red, blue, yellow and green.  The original color is what you see knit up... it's more gray than purple.  The background yarn is what I did today. It's more of an overall purple with some really bright spots here and there.  These two skeins will be fish in the blanket.  I already made six fish out of the gray/purple, and while I need to repeat a few colors to have enough fish, it wasn't one I wanted to repeat.  I figured it would be easy enough to over-dye.