Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Finished a few things..

I went over to my mom's this afternoon to borrow her washer.  It's just so much easier to felt in a top loader, especially when you don't know how the yarn you're felting will react.  While I was there, I borrowed her sewing needles to finish off a few projects.  I can't wait till I can unpack all my boxes, I have no idea where the pouch with my finishing supplies is packed.

I was flipping through the Interweave felt and found a polar bear pattern.  This pattern was the ONLY reason I bought this issue, and I can't tell you how glad I am that I did.

Here he is pre-felting.  Before I put his legs on, my father thought he looked like a rat.
Here he is after felting.  You can still see the stitch definition, but I'm very happy with how this one came out.  I might put in a bit more stuffing on the next one.

Pattern: Polar Bear Stuffies - Interweave Felt 2008
Yarn: SWS - less than 1
Needles: US 10

He took me less than a day to knit up.  I may have to make more of these.  He's destined to join a 3 year old who is getting a new sister soon.

Also finished, a sweater for the new sister.
I forgot to put in button holes (the pattern calls for ties) so I just crocheted loops onto the edge for the buttons when it was all said and done.  Next time, I'll add in button holes.


Pattern: Easy Baby Cardigan (free pattern by Diane Soucy)
Yarn: Plymouth Jellie Beenz - 2 skeins
Needles: US 8

This was a very easy, very quick knit.  Not a bit of sewing anywhere on it.  Gotta love a sweater with no seams!

I finally added buttons to the neck warmers I made.  I can now say that making one lengthwise doesn't work unless you find a way to draw in the top and bottom stitches a bit (ie, garter or ribbing).  The one I made according to the pattern works well and hugs my neck, the one I did lengthwise flops open.