Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Socks, socks and more socks

One of the things I like about traveling is that it seems to be the only time I get any sock knitting done. When I'm at home, I have trouble working on socks while that sweater (or in this case coat) is sitting there with it's 20 balls of yarn that can't travel anywhere because it weighs a ton just sits there looking at me.

I got the new Cat Bordhi book for Hanukkah. I love the concept but find it a bit off putting that the template only works if you have the same gauge (including row) for each pair of socks you make on it. I tend to make four or five pairs a year and with all the different yarns out there I tend not to repeat more than twice a year (if that... I currently have only two sets made out of the same yarn base).

So I decided to go back to her Pathways book for my travel sock. I picked the Foxglove master pattern with my own (probably not my own, but I'm not using a pattern) pattern to break up the stripes/pooling. I'm using a skein of we're different Wollmeise in yellow and blue with green at the color joins and knitting on 1.5s. My first pair of Wollmeise socks are wearing very nicely but I still think the yarn is a pain in the butt to knit with. It is not tightly plied and does split, especially if you're frogging. I may destash the remainder of my 80/20 single skeins when I get home.