Thursday, November 12, 2009

Though there is always another

The another this time being Stitches East. This was my first year getting to go (Baltimore just wasn't worth the trip for the past few years)... but first, the trip there.

As true fiber fanatics, K and I planned our trip from Vt to Ct to hit a few yarn shops and some of the other fiber related businesses in the area.

Imagine my surprise when by going the way I thought I should (doesn't mean I was right..) instead of listening to my GPS, we drove past a place with a purple sign.

Yeah.. totally by accident, we found Golding's studio. Hadn't called, hadn't emailed, yet was welcomed by Tom himself (not to mention his guard llama and a few alpacas)

We got to go into his workshop, where we got a tour that included a completed loom, spinning wheels in various phases of completion, his wall of spindle rings and drawers and drawers of spindle tops. (sorry, no pics I feel able to share. I wouldn't want to see my half done wheel on someone else's blog)

Once we were done in the shop, we went up to their studio where K and I got to wander through a forest of spindles (none of which had been at Rhinebeck, those were still packed)


Now, I've been spinning for three years or so and I have NEVER been able to get a consistent yarn with a drop spindle. I've gotten so discouraged that I didn't even go to Golding's booth at Rhinebeck this year. Meanwhile, as K was having fun trying out spindles (she just learned to spin), it was suggested that I try it.

I tried it with a lace/fingering weight spindle.

I loved it.

It came home with me.







That is all. Munchkin was quite jealous.