Sunday, August 26, 2007

Knitty Philly Fest - Day 2

Today was the spinning side of the weekend. It seems like I had just gone to sleep, when my alarm went off. S and I left Philly at around 10am and headed out to New Hope. For those who don't know.. there's a little shop, actually pretty well hidden considering it's right on 202N, in New Hope that carries not only yarn (which is more than enough to get me out there) but also lots of yummy fibers and spinning wheels! Yes, I am talking about Twist! Debbie is the best ever!

Today we had a fiber tasting day. S, artsygal and I brought wheels. Those who didn't have their own, were allowed to borrow wheels from the shop, or just stuck to their spindles. We arrive, and there's a bag of goodies just waiting for us!
That's ten little bags of fibery goodness to play with. From top left: Silk Hankie (which I haven't gotten to yet), Angora (which I did horrible with), silk and cashmere (which I bought more of!), Black BFL (which I had enough to ply when I was done spinning), tussah silk (which I fell in love with and bought more of), multi-color combed merino top, hand dyed merino, qiviut fluff (the blank bag), hemp and white BFL.

Up till now, I've only spun sheepy, alpacas and a merino silk mix. I had never tried any of the plant fibers or pure silk. I probably wouldn't have tried these for quite a long time, as I saw them as more "advanced" fibers.


Here's my silk single. I loved spinning this up. So much so that I bought another 4ish oz of it to play with.


And my hemp single, spun dry instead of wet because I didn't want sticky fingers.. even spinning it dry, it ended up rather smooth. I wonder if it would have stuck together a bit and not drafted as nicely if I got it wet.



Spun thin and navajo plied. I love working with this stuff!!! I can't wait to get to Rhinebeck, BFL is the featured breed this year!

Now this I had a bit of trouble with, but still loved... I was having some drafting issues, and ended up with a soft spot that broke while I was winding it onto the knitty-noddy. However, I still bought more. I think I'll use it for YPF this week... so I won't show it now.

The group shot... as you can see, we were quite crowded in there. People had to stop their wheels if you wanted to walk around, but we loved every minute of it.

And one of J buying more BFL and Corriedale to feed her spindle with.

It was a WONDERFUL day! I can't even say how much I appreciate Debbie doing this for us. Well worth the hour long drive to get up there. Plus, I had S to keep me company in the car which is always a good thing. Don't listen to yahoo maps if you're going to New Hope via 95 from Philly. The directions were quite wrong, but I recognized the road I needed, so it all worked out well.