Tuesday, July 31, 2007

First Impressions

Well, I've now been using my Namaste Messenger bag for two days and thought I'd give my own little review.

As a knitting bag, I give it a 8/10. For my purposes, as a general use bag, it's getting about an 6/10.

Positives:
1. Love the colour and fabric
2. Love how easy it is to change the strap length
3. It does hold quite a bit (I managed to get in a macbook, monkey bag, notions bag, wallet, phone, and a bag full of junk and that was without opening the bottom)
4. Like that it expands

Could use improving:
1. Strap needs padding, when weighted down it cuts into my shoulder (but this is easily fixed)
2. The magnetic clasps don't actively attract each other. I have trouble closing the bag, especially when it's full.
3. The construction isn't stiff enough to keep the laptop from shifting around and trying to lay flat (but since it wasn't really meant for this purpose, I can't blame them)
4. It's hard to find small items against the black lining
5. When fully loaded, the flap doesn't close and I had stuff fall out. Maybe a zipper?
6. Needs a handle or something to grab it by on top. When it's fully loaded and you have the strap fully extended, it's hard to move it around in the car/around your feet.
7. Doesn't stay upright very well when you put it on the ground.

Even with the 6/10 rating and all the things that I feel could be improved, I would still recommend the bag as long as you aren't going to be carrying around a laptop or really heavy books in it.