Monday, July 30, 2007

Moving..

Well, moving in July was probably one of the worst ideas I've ever had. It was so hot! By the end of the day I jumped into a cold shower and didn't even notice I'd forgotten to add any hot water. But besides that, it went well.

We started the day at U-haul, where we proceeded to wait over an hour to get the truck. There was only one person a head of me though, so I'm not quite sure what took so long. Then, once I finally got it, the tank was on 'E' with the little gas tank light on. Boy was I mad about that. You should have heard the guys in the store I brought it back to go on about how they were never supposed to let a truck go out on empty. Of course, silly me forgot to look in the back of the truck, and drove half a block with the door open, and without the handtruck and pads I paid for. If you ever rent a u-haul, get the hand truck! Best $10 I ever spent!

So we get to the apartment, and start loading in the big stuff. Everything had to go down a flight of steps. But it was early and dad and I were fresh, so it wasn't too bad. I don't really own anything too heavy, except for a table that G gave me. Took us about 2, maybe 2 1/2 hours to load the apartment. Now.. that apartment is a MESS, and I decided to hire someone to clean instead of doing it myself. Seemed safer that way.

The trip itself wasn't bad. The Schuylkill (Rt 76) was actually moving, even if it had occasional pockets of slow down and sit for a minute. Mom and Dad both asked if it was always like that, and I had to tell them that was good for that road. Don't think either of them will ever drive that again (though they don't need to go on that road to get into Philly, so it should be okay).

Made it to the building, but couldn't find parking, so we parked the truck on the next block and started to haul boxes. About 3 trips into this, the other U-haul parked in front of the building was able to pull forward and that gave us enough room to squish the truck in. Gotta love an elevator is about all I can say for the rest of the move.

I had a bookcase in my bedroom in the old place. Now it was a piece of knock it together furniture, but worked perfectly for what I wanted. NO way was it getting out of the bedroom in one piece... I actually had dad bring an axe so I could chop it up if need be. No need.. my awesome dad managed to get it apart without any problems! Of course, he couldn't stay on Sat to help me put it back together, but he's coming back on Tues and bringing air conditioners with him!

So now, I'm mostly unpacked. Cable guy comes tomorrow. Cats are adjusting, though I think they miss the birdfeeder. I'm mostly unpacked, except for clothing and books. Best of all, J's coming out to visit tomorrow, and I figured out how to get us to three yarn shops!

So, a public thank you to my parents who were wonderful as usual.