Monday, June 18, 2007

Spinning Monday...

At the moment, it's too damn hot to do much of anything. I don't have air conditioning in my apartment, so the spinning wheel is sitting idle while the cats and I have a lazy afternoon. But.. I did finish spinning up the random blue wool.


I'll admit, I love the colors in this. I'm currently debating on how to ply it.

This was some Romney that came with my wheel. Not the best roving I've ever worked with, but it makes good practice roving. I had spun this up earlier and in order to free up a bobbin decided to try to Navajo ply it. I think I managed pretty well. The yarn came out balanced and I really like how Navajo plying makes the yarn look.

My parents came up to visit me on Saturday. We did a combo day of mom's birthday and Father's Day, since I'm working crazy hours this month. Dad brought my mail with him (I still get some things sent to his house) and my WooLee Winder was part of that delivery!!! (sorry about the flash, but I'm not letting that hot sunlight into the apartment today)
Here's my new winder on Oliver. I was so excited to get it I started to spin up some Alpaca/Merino/Silk roving that I wanted to play with. As you can tell, that is NOT the roving on the bobbin. I found my new winder to have a bit of a learning curve, and I didn't want to ruin the good roving to do it. So I'm spinning up some more of the romney to go with the yarn above. I'm spinning much more even with the romney this time. Eventually this stuff will also get navajo plied and go to sit with it's brother.

I took my parents to historic Bethlehem on Saturday. We had lunch at the Brew Works (yum... they have such good burgers), then walked around a bit so mom could take pics. She has a pic of me knitting a sock as I was walking around looking at the old Colonial Industrial area. Mom seems to collect pics of me knitting socks in odd places.

After Bethlehem we went up to Nazareth to the Jacobsburg Historical Society's early 1800's encampment. Of course it rained, but we got to take a tour of the Henry house (built in 1820 I think...well, somewhere around there), where I found this:
The lady doing the tour didn't know if it worked, but all the pieces were there, including the drive band. I so wanted to sit down on that chair and give it a try!