Monday, June 04, 2007

My first homespun FO

So, last year for Hanukkah I got a whole ton of roving from my sister and mom. Some hand-dyed, some luxury fibers, and some that were both. I hadn't gotten around to spinning any of it up basically because all four of my bobbins were taken up with practice yarn and I just didnt' feel ready. Well, last weekend I decided to spin some of it up (of course, I forgot a before pic, and a yarn pic). This stuff was so stuck together that I had to literally tug on it to predraft it. Yes, I learned the wonders of predrafting. Though apparently not well enough, since this yarn turned out to be a very thick/thin type yarn. I thought I managed 60 yards once plied, but as you can see in the last pic, the hat is much longer than I would expect to get out of only 60 yards. I didn't bother with WIP, the yarn was so variable I would have needed to do wraps per foot. Once dry, it was knit up into this:
Pattern: Top down hat, own design with double folded brim
Needles: size 11
Gauge: 2 1/2 stiches/inch
Yarn: Homespun Corriedale

A close up of the stitches so you can see how the yarn turned out. There were a few places where both plies were of the too skinny variety, so there I just knit into the stitch below.
Just to show you how long the "edging" is... I could almost have gotten another hat out of this if I hadn't wanted the big roll brim.