Tuesday, October 10, 2006

New addiction

I spent today with whichendisup (J). Oh man.. the two of us together can be very, very, bad but boy do we have fun!

Today was the first time that either of us attempted to dye our own yarn. We spent a lot of time reading everything we could find, and finally realized that it didn't matter what we did. It was all a learning experience. So... here's our day in pics.

We decided to start with kool aid for a few reasons. 1. It's cheap 2. It's easy to get 3. Totally non-toxic, so we didn't need special equipment. Here are all the colours we managed to collect. Finding blues and greens was difficult and we ended up with only one pack of green that was gifted to me during a SP round.



Next we had to decide what yarn to use. I had quite a bit of Knit Picks Bare, some Patons and some Fisherman's Wool. J has a ton of dye your own, but most of it is Henry's Attic and costs quite a bit more than what I had. We decided to go with the Knit Picks Bare WOTA because it was already skeined and I forgot to bring my swift with me.. Here it is soaking away.


We couldn't quite decide what the colours would look like, or which ones we wanted to use, so we opened one of each except the lime green. Don't you just love J's table cloth? VERY practical when you are playing with dyes! The extra cup is a second package of grape. It was almost a grey colour when we mixed up the first one, and we thought it might be a bad package, so we did a second one to make sure.


Now.. I went first, but since I was playing, I couldn't be taking pictures... so the next few pics are of J's skein. (This was SOOO much fun!)





We decided on microwaving, again because it's simple. Maybe next time we'll try the dishwasher.... (this one is mine.. forgot to take a pic of J's in the microwave)



And when it was all said and done, we let them cool down on the table. (J's first, then mine.. and I swear that end that looks brown is purple!)



It's now drying over my bathroom door, so I'll post final pics tomorrow of how it came out...