Friday, August 25, 2006

Ottawa, CASP package, Spinning package, and more..

Yes, this is going to be a long post. There's quite a bit of catching up for me to do here.

First: Ottawa

I went up to watch a friend compete in a long range shooting match. It's amazing to watch, though I'll admit, I was the only spectator there. Imagine taking a gun, and shooting at a target that is anywhere from 200 - 900 meters away with NO optical site. You are using your own eyeballs, no augmentation from a lens (unless you wear glasses). To top it all off, before you can go shooting, you have to load your own ammunition! There's one picture of him shooting, and one picture of his great shot. You may need to enlarge that one to see the orange dot in the center of the target... that's right.. he hit the center. I think it was the 800m but I'll admit that I can't remember right now.

Second: Final CASP2 package...

Oh the goodies. It's been so much fun doing the SP rounds, especially since I've started to feel guilty about the size of my stash and have cut back on my yarn buying. (the burly spun for my rug doesn't count.. it's already claimed for a project). My CASP2 pal was CelticCoyote, who spoiled me silly for three months. My final package included more smarties (yum, edible packing material), a skein of Knit Picks Bare in the sockweight along with some Kool Aid to make it into pretty colours, an apple cookbook (that has a magnet so I can hang it on the fridge), a pretty little tin with more stitch markers, a tin of Simpsons mints with Ralph on the front (oh he's my favorite), a sheepy soap and a cute bookmark!


Third: Stitch Markers...

These came from Batty. It's such an interesting way of making them! Hope you don't mind if I copy you. (sorry about the bad picture.. my camera was NOT cooperating... this was the best out of twenty or so shots)

This set is from Egeria, and came all the way from Ireland with a candybar (that didn't make it long enough to be photographed)


Four: Sheepy goodness

The same friend I went up to Ottawa to watch compete got me three sheeps' fleeces earlier this summer. He obtained them from someone he knows who has a hobby farm, so I have NO idea what kind of sheep they are. I got my first practice at skirting a fleece, and then shipped it off to be washed and processed into roving. Apparently, whatever sheep it came from, the fleece was either really dirty or really greasy because the mill washed it twice. The box you see is FULL of roving! It has plans to be wet felted into a pair of boots and the rest will probably get spun up.


Five: Spinning Pal

Yes, another secret pal round, this time focused on spinning! I sent my pal her first package today, but got this in the mail a few days ago. The one on the left is Blue Faced Leichester, and the one on the right is 70% merino 30% silk. The candy in the package didn't make it to publication. I'm a very new spinner and find that I'm scared to try the merino/silk blend... it's sooooo soft that I can't imagine spinning it only to be disappointed in the yarn I make.

I think that's everything I need to get caught up on. There will be more information about my job or lack thereof as I get it. On the FO front, the only things I've managed to finish lately are a few small projects that will probably be gifts.. hence no pics yet. I should finish my Lucy bag this weekend, and hopefully get it felted and take a few pics.