Friday, July 17, 2009

When nostalgia hits..

When I came out to Cincinnati to interview, one of the many nice women I've met on knittyboard picked me up at my hotel and took me to one of the local yarn stores.  This place looks like it has been in business since I was born... and to prove the point, I found the same exact sock yarn that I had used five years ago to make my first pair of socks. 

Now, that first pair is still going strong.  I was highly proud of them at the time (and still am) but they wouldn't pass muster today.  I prefer to knit all my sock weight socks somewhere between 9-10 stitches per inch and the originals are at seven.  It's odd how going down a few needle sizes can change the look of the finished project.


Original sock on the left foot, new one (with the ends not yet woven in) on the right.  The stripes are about two rows less and I used a bit more yarn.  I don't think the change is that drastic though so I'll have to either be careful about which pair I'm grabbing for or retire the originals to a shadow box and hang them on the wall.

An off the feet shot.  It's harder to tell here which is which... but the original is right and the new one is on the left.