Sunday, January 25, 2009

Cincinnati

I flew to Cincinnati today so I could have a few days to look around town before I interview at Cincinnati Children's.

Besides the plane taking off late (they found a mechanical issue while doing the pre-flight), the flight was wonderful.  It was a smaller commuter plane, two seats on each side of the aisle.  I was a bit afraid my Aeronaut wouldn't fit in the overhead compartment, but it fit with a bit of squishing.  Best part of all???... there were only six passengers on the flight.  It was the quietest most comfortable flight I've ever taken.

If you've never been to the Cincinnati Airport (which is in Kentucky.. btw), may I suggest wearing REALLY comfortable shoes.  That place was HUGE (plus, I totally missed the tram/monorail cars that ran from terminal B to terminal A)

From there.. my cousin picked me up and took me to Skyline Chili.  I had the veggie option and all I can say is YUM!  I could see that quickly becoming a favorite place to eat.

We drove around a bit and she showed me the hospital and surrounding areas.  I'm going to need a map to get from one end of that hospital to the other.  Not to mention that I'll probably need a GPS to find my way around town.  Cincinnati seems to be laid out  like central jersey (roads that go every which way and that you can only navigate if you were born there).

After dropping off my gear and meeting her doggie, Zack.  


We headed to Graeter's for ice cream and explored a few of the local thrift shops.  I'm going to reserve judgement on Graeter's.  They ran out of the flavor I wanted and I'm not sure I really liked the one I got.  

Dinner tonight was at the Montgomery Inn.  I had the most delicious beef ribs there.  Joining us for dinner was a friend of my cousin who works at Cincinnati Children's and was able to tell me more about the hospital.  

This was a very nice day and I'm grateful that my cousin and her husband were willing to host me and show me around.  He even took tomorrow off so he could play tour guide and really show me around Cincinnati.