Friday, May 16, 2008

I rescued a few...

As you may remember, I've been having camera issues lately.  Since I just got a tuition bill that would buy a small car, I've decided to hold off on replacing my camera till I finish school.  This time, either I wasn't paying attention and really wasn't taking pictures... or it lost all the pictures I took earlier this month.  I'm actually voting that I wasn't really taking pictures, as it seems to be working now, and all that I seem to have lost are the pictures of my secret pal package.  I may have been too distracted by the cats trying to jump into the box as I was unpacking it to realize that it wasn't really taking pictures.  For not having pictures, I apologize to my pal Audrey.  She sent me an awesome package full of yarns I've never used before.  She also totally spoiled the kitties, hence me being distracted.


I've been having a very productive break.  I got the apartment sort of cleaned (those who know me, know that's as good as it will get).  I've been finishing up projects that have been laying around and I've been blocking and finishing projects that I never got around to doing.  I've even been into Center City twice, the mall once and wandering around campus almost every day.

Ages ago, I set myself a goal of six pairs of socks and six sweaters to give to Warm Woolies this year.  I found that I'm a bit busy for knitting up the sweaters, but my mom was more than happy to pick up my slack if I gave her yarn.  Here are her first two creations made of gifted yarn that's been sitting in my stash.


The white one is a bit smaller than the blue and white one, basically because mom knit it on size 9's.  That sweater is bomb proof... I had to soak it for an hour to get it totally wet and decided to let it sit overnight since the yarn was rather old and it needed a good lanolin soak.


Next up.. If you were with me at Rhinebeck last year, you had to listen to me moan over the dragon scarf kit from Morehouse Merino.  I finally got around to buying it when they had it on sale.  I must say, I now know why people pay $10 for 100 yards of merino wool.  This is the softest, springiest yarn I've ever used.
I tried to steam block him, but he has a tendency to fold in half, so he's soaking right now.  Even with adding five extra repeats, he's only about 52 inches long.  


A very bad picture of the shawl I started in May of 2006 when I moved back east.  It is currently occupying my bed, so I'll be sleeping on the couch tonight.  


And for those who are curious... my gown and hood