Saturday, January 16, 2010

How I gave up on my yarn diet

This year I had hoped to manage a yarn diet. That means only buying something if I need it then, there and now or if I'm at one of the multiple events I go to each year. It does not mean no yarn all year (to me, that is a yarn fast).

I think I've fallen off the wagon.

There are 16 skeins of lamb's pride and 2lbs of roving sitting on the recliner at the moment. For some reason, I wanted the blue roving and figured if I was ordering, I might as well get more slipper yarn. Then I figured I'd get some yarn to felt a carry bag for Munchkin. (do we think I'll get to those projects?)

Then it was back to work time. In the past two weeks I've noticed an awful lot of bellies sticking out. I now have one boy and at least three ?'s to knit for in the next six months. I'm sure more will pop up. So... I hear about a superwash wool on sale for $14/bag. Yep, you guessed it, got one bag in boy colors, one in girl colors and three skeins in green to go along with the 20 (now 17) skeins of red that I already had. Knitting everything in red just gets dull.

Up till today, I hadn't bought anything just because it was pretty (well, roving doesn't count). I put my name in the running for a sock club today.

I give up. As long as I can afford it and it makes me happy, I will buy all the yarn I want. That way there's more to share.